06 June 2010

Day Two: Badlands National Park, SD > Mankato, MN

I pulled up to the main entrance of Mount Rushmore at 4:40am, as the sun was rising above the horizon and throwing it's bright warm colours against the faces in the rocks. I couldn't believe that the cop actually showed up to let me in (more than three hours before the gates were supposed to open)... and I was even more amazed to see the beautiful sunrise and national monument without another person in the entire park! I imagine Rushmore is a cool site to see anyway, but I was stoked to be able to see it with with the glow of the sunrise... pretty freaking rad.

I bounced before the gates open and was already in Rapid City for an early breakfast. It's cool to finally reach one of the three remaining states I had yet to travel. I can't believe that it took me so long to explore South Dakota, but I'm glad I finally made the time. We went on to Badlands National Park and hiked for a while...

The Badlands are dope! They remind me a bunch of Goblin Valley, but the sediments are much cooler blues and violets, not as many Utah reds... Oh, and Luna continues to amaze me... my old dog learns new tricks and she teaches them to herself! The other day we hiked up Red Rocks for Tom Petty and I realized she discovered a new trick... and she's using it again at Badlands.

She found that when she drops the ball off at my feet on a hill, it'll roll all the way down... naturally. But, if she retrieves the ball, drops it, and puts her paw on it until I pick it up... now, that's pure genius!

1 comment:

HansRico said...

Did you have to have to make special arrangements to get into the Mt Rushmore National Park for sunrise or is it open to everyone? Was there a cost involved?