05 June 2010

Day One: Denver > Wyoming > Black Hills, SD

Well, today I set off for a new adventure... another cross-country trek with my best friend Luna in my best bus Vina. School has officially been out for about a day and a half and I'm ready for the road! I look forward to getting around to see as many friends, family, cities, national parks, baseball games, and shows as I can before returning to Denver in July... and I look forward to unloading some of the weight that's collected on my mind after an incredibly full semester at school and in life.

Today, I left Denver in the afternoon and rolled through Wyoming on my way to see Rocky Raccoon in the black mining hills of South Dakota... nine hours later I showed up at Mount Rushmore National Monument at 1:34am. I found a spot off the road to set up camp for the night... but unfortunately it only took about twenty minutes before I was woke up by a cop shining her lights on me in the bus, asking for my license, registration, etc. Turns out the national park folks don't want people just pulling off the side of the road to sleep... but after she realized my bloodshot from driving all day (and not from drinking), she turned out to be pretty freaking cool. She ended up bringing me to a campsite down the road and let me camp for free. Then, when I asked her about admission to Rushmore in the morning, she told me that it is fifteen bucks and it opens at 8:00... but, she ended up offering to meet me at the gates at sunrise and let me in for free!

No comments: