24 June 2010

Day Twenty: Philadelphia, PA > Camden, NJ

Day two of Philly exploration... First thing's first, we walked down to the open-aire Italian Market near Sherrie's pad and went to the joint that Sherrie and Chris tout as the best Italian sandwiches in Philadelphia. Sure enough, Paesanos is the spot! I had the Bolognese (crispy fried lasagna with classic meat sauce, sweet peppers, fresh mozzarella, sharp provolone, and a fried egg)... and it was outta-sight. Sherrie knows where to take me if she wants to impress me with a city, so this was an easy sell. Naturally, we went to scope some art next...









We picked up my buddy Neal, who flew in for the Phish shows from San Francisco, and went over to Fairmount Park to check out the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Of course, Neal and I raced up the Rocky Steps, and of course, I won... The museum was pretty cool; we got a chance to see all of the modern and contemporary exhibits and they had some rad pieces. Oh, and they had a pretty extensive collection of Duchamp's work, including some of my favourite cubist pieces of his (like Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2).












We headed back to Sherrie's pad to check in with Luna and the air conditioning... turns out Philadelphia is pretty steamy... the muggiest of all the cities I've traveled this summer! Then, we loaded my bus, grabbed some cheese steaks at Jim's Steaks, and rolled to the Phish show in Camden, NJ! It's been ten years since I went to Camden (last time was to see Phish on 4 July in 2000)... I forgot what a scene this place is, what a mess it is, and what great shows Phish plays here... It was sweet seeing Phish with Sherrie again and when they opened with Bowie, I knew it'd be a show of treats! They played a bunch of once-a-tour songs like Uncle Pen, Crosseyed and Painless, and Gumbo, but best of all, they played (for the first-time ever) The Rover off Physical Graffiti. It's always fun watching Trey pretend to be Jimmy Page... and they freaking killed it!


1 comment: