10 August 2010

Sziget Festival: Óbudai Island.

Wasting no time, I'm headed back to Budapest this morning, making my way to Óbudai Island on the Danube River for the largest music and cultural festival in Eastern Europe... the Sziget Festival! So many things are new and different, yet some things will never change. I am always up to explore the music scene, especially when it's a seven-day long party on an island in the heart of Europe!

The festival boasts more than 1,000 performers and will host almost 400,000 fans (to put it in perspective, that's five times the size of Bonnaroo)! I am rolling solo... just me, my tent, camera, and sleeping bag... though I hear that over half of the festival-goers come from outside Hungary, mostly from the Netherlands and France, so I'm sure there will be other English speakers representing...

Being a true cultural festival, music is only part of the draw... there will be theatre performances, films from around the world, classes from learning Hungarian to pole dancing to yoga, speeches and demonstrations, poetry competitions, art cooperatives and open studios, dancing tents that go all night / morning long, and much much more that I am soon to discover. I'll be sure to post my reactions when I return...

No comments: