18 August 2010

Pécs: European Capital of Culture.












I spent the day in the beautiful city of Pécs. The United Nation recently named this southwest Hungarian gem the European Capital of Culture for 2010... and deservingly so! The streets were filled with people and there are programs happening all over town all year long! Everywhere I looked, there were gorgeous theatres, museums, galleries, libraries, sculptures, cafés, fountains, and people...












The art presence is said to be booming in Pécs, so I look forward to seeing more soon. I really dig this sculpture of (Hungary's own) Franz Liszt on the balcony of the Archiepiscopal Palace (the hair is so rad). Op-art pioneer Victor Vasarely was born in Pécs and his museum is just one of many in town. Of course I couldn't really dig into the art scene with only one day, but I'll be back (plenty)! I'm stoked to discover it's only an hour away, so I know I'll be hitting it up when I need a taste of the city and don't want to head into Budapest.

Our friend Ákos, a Pécs native, showed us around and took us up to the top of the hill for a look over the city... totally beautiful, totally Central European... it reminded me of Prague with all of the red and the tented roofs, etc. Then, on our way back through the city, I witnessed the most beautiful thing I saw all day... a genuine Magyar Vizsla. His name is Pluto... so sweet, so soft... yet, of course, he just made me miss Luna like crazy...

So, when I got back to my flat in Kaposvár, I rushed to Skype Bryan and Sarah to see if I could get in touch with Luna. They were home and it worked... I was able to see her and hear her...but it just made me sad. Unfortunately it made Luna sad too. Bryan said she was shaking and crying... and she kept running to the window looking for me... she could hear my voice, but certainly didn't understand what was going on. I felt like it was a big tease. Regardless, it was good to see her and hear the stories of her new life in Rochester... they say she is doing well and I'm certain she is. So, even though I think about her constantly and wish she was with me daily, it gives me peace of mind to know that she is in good hands while I'm away...

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Ahh that breaks my heart.