09 August 2010

Kaposvár: A Brand New Old City.

Things are so so different here... I have never been this lost... and I really dig it! Since arriving in Hungary, I have heard three people speak English. Of course, Zsuzsa, who continues to be a great help, speaks well and is happy to get me through some tight communication gaps. Then, my server at the restaurant in Budapest spoke basic English (like in every major European city). And, third, is my new principal Kati.

Outside of the three mentioned English speakers, I have found that nobody else can speak, or at least no one admits it and is willing to attempt it. I have been to several markets, currency exchanges, pubs, cafés, train stations, etc. and all I hear is Hungarian. It's already such a crazy adventure!

Kaposvár is beautiful... it is an old city (not a big bustling contemporary urban dwelling that I am used to, but a big town feel with old architecture and many cobblestone roads / sidewalks, churches, etc.)... it feels very different from the US certainly, but also much different than even the typical European tourist spots I have visited (Athens, Rome, Paris, Berlin, Munich, London, etc.). It's interesting how Eastern Europe has a distinct feel... Hungary (as a whole, and certainly Budapest) is much like what I remember of visiting Czech Republic and Austria... and I love it!

I had a chance to visit my new school yesterday: Munkácsy Mihály Gimnázium in Kaposvár... and all of the sudden, I can't wait to start teaching again! Certainly it will be nothing like I've experienced before, but I know I love teaching art and I'm happy to give it a try in this beautiful new place. I was psyched to to see the new school and thankful that Kati made time to show me around. This is Kati's first year as principal and she has plenty to do with the transition, but still found time to make me feel welcome at the new school. These are just a few photos I took walking to school from my flat in Kaposvár... My life is teeming with photo opportunities these days, so you'll surely see many more soon...

No comments: