17 August 2010

Kaposvár International Music Festival.

Kaposvári Nemzetözi Kamarazenei Fesztivál. Freshly back from Sziget, I am greeted by the local chamber music festival! I am excited to be able to go out to see the people, see the shows, and then walk back home to sleep in my bed.

This afternoon, I was cruising through the main city square on my longboard and got stopped by a reporter for KaposTV, the local news station. She asked to interview me for the evening news... ha, I find it entertaining that I stick out like a sore thumb around here... and from my perspective, I see the people laugh at me, give me strange looks, and speak to each other in Hungarian about how weird I am. It could be true, it could just be in my head, but it's funny nonetheless... certainly not bothersome. I just laugh.

Then I saw a great concert in the evening at the Corner Restaurant: Jam-Session Találkozó featuring Tamás Somló (of the famous Hungarian rock band Locomotiv GT). The gig was in a classy little underground ballroom... just a short walk from my flat. I went solo and spoke with no one (except the bartender, of course)... but it was cool to be just an observer of the language, the local music scene, and the culture. It was funny because all of the dialogue between band members and audience was in Hungarian, yet most of the music was American songs with vocals in English. So, I could sing along to Prince, Marvin Gaye, Bon Jovi, James Brown... but in between the songs, I had no idea what was being said, and just laughed when everybody else did. It really is funny, so I didn't have to fake laughing at least...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello my friend. Sounds like things are exciting and fresh all around ya. Been keeping up on the blog and hope we can catch up soon. I'll set up a skype account and we should connect. Miss ya but am so stoked for ya. -Alex