17 June 2009

European Tour: Phase Six (Paris, FRANCE)

The grand finale of the European Tour was a three-day Paris peregrination. We stayed just off the Metro line, so it was easy to get around the city to see what we wanted to see. I was spoiled in Paris; the art, the culture, the food... it was all that I dreamed of. It was amazing to observe the spectacles I've studied and only seen in art history books until now. From the Notre Dame Cathedral's classic Gothic architecture to the hundreds of impressionist masterworks in the Musée d'Orsay, studying the art in-person was a privilege I'll never forget.

In addition to the d'Orsay, I was able to check out the Musée Rodin's beautiful gardens, Jim Morrison's grave, and of course the Louvre. Naturally, the Louvre blew me away. The miles of art stretched across the sumptuous building revealed the most famous collection of art in the world. I have to admit that I became overwhelmed and couldn't get through the entire museum in the half-day I alloted myself, so as with many other places on the trip, I'll have to return. I think I enjoyed the d'Orsay even more than the Louvre; I am personally more inspired by the color and the brushstrokes of modern approach and execution.

On the final evening, we went to Montmarte for dinner and to check out the Basilica of the Sacre Coeur and to watch the sunset over Paris from atop the hill. This happening nightclub district and arts sector is a nonstop party. And, I like a party; needless to say, we had fun.

Unfortunately, after two weeks, it is time to return to reality (sort of). I fly home for one day in Denver and then I'm back out on the road for a run of Phish shows, starting at Star Lake (outside of Pittsburgh) and heading back into the midwest through the end of the tour. It's a reality I look forward to.

2 comments:

thepostproducer said...

It looks and sounds as though you had an awesome trip and exciting plans for the rest of your summer! Next time you go to Europe, I want to come! =)

Barrie said...

Wow...what an amazing trip you had and accomplished hitting so many cities in 2 weeks! Glad you made it back home and I can't wait for your visit. By the way, LOVE your haircut. You are soooooo handsome!!! Love MOM