10 June 2009

European Tour: Phase Four (Dachau > Neuschwanstein)

Dachau was was the first Nazi concentration camp opened in Germany in March of 1933 (the year Papa was born). Only 76 years later, in June of 2009, I went to the site with thirteen students and witnessed the amazing tragedies and stories of the victims. There is nothing I could say to describe the feeling I had walking through the camp and seeing what I saw. It's heavy and it weighs on my mind, but I am glad to have had the opportunity to see it and it will always remind me of the great fortunes I have.

I still struggle with the fact that even after such awesome genocide and total devastation, we as people can discriminate against other people... other members of our human race. The thing that hurts me so much is that I see bigotry and prejudices coming from people that I love, friends and family, people I look up to. Differences are good, acceptance is powerful; give it a try.

And, then, to flip modes of perception... we headed to the Neuschwanstein Castle, a 19th-century Bavarian palace commissioned by Ludwig II. It's apparently one of the most famous castles in the world and is the inspiration for the Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disney Land. For what it's worth, it's a pretty ridiculous sight with ridiculous art and intricacies inside as well as out. The view from the castle isn't so bad either, check it out...

1 comment:

Kevin "KC" Heise said...

I love that every room in that place is inspired by a different Wagner work. Such a cool castle