28 November 2010

International Arts Connect: ATC Workshop.












I just completed my first workshop as part of the Fine Arts Faculty of Kapsovár University. I offered International Arts Connect as an opportunity to experiment and expand creativity beyond borders... literally. I wanted to create an exchange program for university art students to communicate internationally, sharing their ideas with artists on the other side of the world... gaining perspective, stimulating interests, and building artistic relationships!

The room was filled with enthusiastic artists, ephemera, and a collage of music. The fundamental goal of my alternative arts curriculum is mentoring students to communicate ordinary concepts in extraordinary ways... to experiment with problems until fresh solutions emerge. For the intensive two-day workshop, the studio classroom transformed into a laboratory for exploring ideas.












Each artist created an original collection of Artist Trading Cards (ATCs)... trying new processes and new media to craft nine small unique works of art within assigned themes. Simultaneously, I have been working with university art students in the United States to create similar works with the same prompts. Now, I am busy collecting the art from all of the participants (both in the US and from the students at Kaposvár University), and I will facilitate an exchange between the artists. At the end of the project, each student will receive a new set of cards created by international artists!

*I have also created a supplemental programme at the high school level... students from my Alternative Art Klub (here in Kaposvár, at Munkácsy Mihály Gimnázium) made sets of ATCs to exchange with my students in Studio 23 (back in Colorado, at Wheat Ridge High School). In all, there will be over seventy artists involved in the international art exchanges! [Pictured is an exhibition of the 200 ATCs created by the Alternative Art Klub at Munkácsy]

No comments: