25 November 2010

Újhold: New Moon Thanksgiving.

I was skating home from school yesterday, and in the middle of the Penny Market parking lot, I was stopped by a beautiful Hungarian Vizsla wandering the lot, all by herself... with no owner and no clue. I was concerned that the poor pup would be hit by a car, and furthermore, I wondered where she lived? I hopped off my board and got down on a knee... I kind of thought she'd just scamper away or bark at me (like most of the dogs in Hungary), but I tried to pet her anyway... this dog was different; she came right over to me and offered me her affection. I'm a sucker for dogs, especially Vizslas, and this one immediately had me hooked...

I stayed at Penny for twenty-something minutes, trying to find an owner, but nobody came looking and her collar had no information. I couldn't leave her there. She was clean and seemed healthy, but had no place to go. Unfortunately, I can't have a dog in my flat, but I needed to help her. We instantly bonded; she followed me everywhere I went... I named her Újhold (new moon), and call her Új for short.

I brought her back to the block of flats I am living, and let her run in the yard while I ran upstairs to find some food and a make-shift leash. All I could find was some Pick Salami (famous Hungarian salami from Szeged). When I went back outside she was so happy to see that I had food... the leash wasn't important as long as I could coax her with salami. I had to find her home or at least, a temporary place to stay... I convinced my friends Greg and Danielle (from Minnesota) to let Új stay with them for the night, but only for one night.

I woke up today with one goal in mind: finding a home for this dog, at least a temporary one... there was no way I was going to send her back to the streets. I went by their flat this morning and checked on Új. She was just as sweet as I remembered her and I received a good report from her stay with my friends. I went to school and started talking with all of my students... explaining my dilemma and looking for help. After school, one of my students Csanad (and his father Ádam) drove Új and I to the local vet. We thought that she may have a microchip, but unfortunately 'nincs.' We called the radio station to announce the lost dog. And, the radio station put us in contact with a shelter who heard from the owner... we found Új's home!

It was such a great feeling, but at the same time, I really enjoyed bonding with this wonderful little Vizsla. When we returned the dog to her owner, we learned that her proper given name is Lana... yes, Lana, as in one letter off of Luna! The owner was very grateful and incredibly relieved to have her Vizsla back. I already miss her, but am just happy she's cared for again.

But as sweet as 'New Moon' is, the truth is: there's no moon like my moon. Today, on Thanksgiving I realize how thankful I am to have the best dog alive, and how grateful I am to have Bryan and Sarah looking after her while I live in Europe for the year. I'm thankful for much more too, but of course, I can't get Luna out of my mind today.

As for dinner tonight... it was nice, humble and improvised... certainly not the Thanksgiving I am used to... with twenty-plus amazing friends (The Denver Family) in a big log cabin in Breckenridge, snowboarding all day followed by a warm-up in the hot tub under the falling snow, eating and drinking without limits, and wrestling in the snow with Luna... ah, fond memories... (this is the first time in six years I wasn't in Breck for Thanksgiving)...

No comments: