01 November 2010

EC Cunningham: Incessant Inspiration.

This afternoon I learned some terribly heavy news, something that hit my heart with shock and sadness... a great hero to myself and many, EC Cunningham, passed away one month ago today. I honestly don't know how to react; it came so unexpectedly amidst the many distractions and developments of concurrent life in Hungary. I know that I fall out-of-the-loop with the day-to-day in Denver, but just hearing this affective story now makes me feel so disconnected.

EC was an incredible inspiration, and will always live in spirit, continuing to inspire me for the rest of my life. He was a beloved friend, a wonderful father, a loving husband, a devoted teacher, an exceptional artist, and one of the greatest mentors I have ever learned from. EC changed people's lives. He has helped me become a better artist, a better teacher, and better person.

My friendship with EC was special and will always enrich my life. He invited me to Vicious Dog (his printmaking studio at Metropolitan State College of Denver) many weekends... we would work on new print processes together, just him and I... and he would show me ways I could bring contemporary printmaking into Studio 23 (my studio at Wheat Ridge High School). He did it all out of the kindness of his heart... for his love of art... and for his love of teaching.

I met EC five years ago, when I had the honour of teaching art to his son Kevin, one of my all-time favourite students. Kevin is an incredible man himself... now in his third year at Kansas State, studying landscape design; he will always benefit from the strong relationship he had with his father and years of positive influence he gained. I send my warmest and fullest love to Kevin and his mother Allison in these toughest days... I know they are strong and will carry on to appreciate the impact EC had on them as they heal from today forward.

Life can be so fragile and I'm rarely reminded of this. It will take some time, but I know the sadness of loss will turn into a celebration of his spirit... I am so thankful to have known him, worked with him, and learn so much from him. We'll always love and miss you EC; thank you for your genuine heart.

1 comment:

Allison Cunningham said...

Frankie - Thank you for your thoughts and reflexions on E.C. This is the kind of thing that is getting Kevin, our family, and I through this sadness. He always admired you for your energy and enthusiasm. Best Wishes! Allison