26 September 2010

Rókaűzők: Fox Chasers.

Rókaűzők (translation: Fox Chasers) is a European Universities Running Festival from Kaposvár to Pécs... and just a few days before the race, against my deepest aversions, I was persuaded to run. Rókaűzők is an international relay championship for university and high school teams and it turned out to be a lot of fun! Well, everything about it was fun, except for the running...

When I got off the shuttle at the starting point for my leg of the race, I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I saw a bunch of people hop off and immediately light up a smoke while they stretched out for the race... only in Europe!

The teams are made of twelve members including faculty and students. Each member runs one leg (from about five kilometres to twleve), making up the seventy kilometre-stretch between the twin towns. It was great to get together with some of my colleagues and students outside of school... we (Munkácsy) had a great team, and came in fourth place in the high school division! And, even though I only had to run 6.5km, it was the most I've ever run, at-once, in my life... so, I felt quite relieved to finish.

Once I passed the chip band, I wandered away from the people, following a stream out of the village (Tormás). I discovered a quiet football field surrounded by forest... and it seemed like the ideal spot for a siesta. I listened to the post-rock sounds of TNT, a throwback Tortoise album from the nineties, and let myself fade out for a bit...



Matyi, from my 13E class, not only ran for our team, but was the official photographer and helped out a lot with the race (as his father is the organizer of the programme). Thanks to Matyi for keeping me in the loop all day (and for the pics), to Betti for teaching me the fourteen vowels of the Hungarian language, to Bálint for the opportunity to be part of the team and the special Pálinka, to Laci for the relentless convincing, and to my legs for making it 6.5km without giving out... it must have been the bright orange Saucony's...


No comments: