12 September 2010

New School of Thought.

Finally, back to school! Don't get me wrong... I am happy to have had the time to travel around and explore Hungary... but I have been eager to experience the ways of the Hungarian school system, meet my new colleagues, and most-importantly: unite with my new students!

When I first walked in the doors of my host school, Munkácsy Mihály Gimnázium, I felt like I walked into a world of contradistinction. In many ways, things couldn't be much different from life at Wheat Ridge High School... but I think that's what I value most. I am finding that many of the things I take for granted back at Wheat Ridge are considered luxuries and I don't have access to them at Munkácsy... and things that I would stress over stateside are non-issues in Hungary. (This is my new Stúdió 122... just up a floor and the next door down from 23)

It's no surprise that the biggest challenge of the first week has been communication and overcoming the language barrier. As if it isn't enough of a challenge to start school in a new building with a new staff and new expectations, I also don't share a common language with the secretary, maintenance staff, or eighty-five percent of the faculty. Ha, it's interesting... but, like I said, it's good. It pushes me out of my comfort zone... and it's fun to try communicating anyway... with the combination of charades and throwing out my best attempt (still resulting in pitiful pronunciation) of the few Hungarian words I know, I'm able to get by.

And, the kids are awesome! I'm sure they think I'm crazy, but even my students in Colorado think I'm crazy... so, there are no hard feelings. I have a wide range of students... from age 15-20, both English and Art students, and from almost no conversational skills (and barely understanding anything I say) to almost perfectly fluent. One thing that they all seem to have in common is their interest in what I have to say and their genuine desire to improve with my help. They are very respectful and truly appreciate my contribution to their learning.

At first, when I was asked to teach Conversational English (and, thus, cut back on my Art lessons), I was disappointed. But, after learning how important it is for these students to have the opportunity to speak English with a native speaker and seeing how valuable they find it, I consider it an honour to have the chance to work with them. Meanwhile, to make up for the shortage of Art lessons, I started an Alternative Arts 'study-circle' (after school club) for the most-interested art students (both those in my classes, and those unable to take art lessons this year). I found out today that there was great interest in the club, and I was asked to offer it two days each week... so, this is rad! I look forward to seeing what they get excited about and getting them to try new things... (coming this October)

So, all in all, I am settling in just fine... I'm glad to be at Munkácsy and find it (at least some aspects) easier each day. I have to admit that my transition wouldn't have been nearly this smooth without the tenacious help of my mentor, Nóri Berzsánné-Csajaghy! She has been incredible in helping me find my way... around the school and around the town, physically and subjectively. I am so lucky to have her guidance in all of these new trials of confidence and fortitude. (this is the Tanári: the faculty room... all staff share this common area with desk space for each teacher and four computers)

1 comment:

Deniseypoo said...

Hi Frank. I hear it is your birthday today and I wanted to say happy birthday! It sounds like you are having an amazing experience in Hungry. I'm glad school has started for you. I bet it'll be pretty cool getting to know and influence a new set of students. My friend I used to work with at the Wynkoop, she's a hairdresser and one of her clients the other day was talking about how her kids had this art teacher in high school that really influenced them and changed their lives. She was talking about how the teacher had moved to Europe and that everyone was sad. And she was totally talking about you! Small world. You are missed here! Good luck with the start of school and I hope all else is well too!

-Denaenae