13 March 2011

Pearl of the Mediterranean: Kotor Bay > Mount Lovčen, MONTENEGRO

Montenegro is ridiculous. I love it and already can't wait to go back!









The day started with a sunrise drive along Kotor Bay, and though it seemed like it couldn't get any sweeter, the landscape kept changing and never disappointed. It was like driving across the United States (omitting Kansas)... from the sea to the mountains, Montenegro has it all in just 13,812 km2 (one-fifth the size of Colorado)!

Once we got off the coast and started winding up the mountain roads, we took advantage of many roadside pull-offs to scope the panorama (playing real-life Frogger across traffic, whipping out our cameras, attempting to secure a perfect place in time)... however photos just can't capture the air, the stillness, the feeling...

When we set off on the Balkan tour earlier this week, we each had a unique number one spot we wanted to explore (Kent: Sarajevo, Emily: Dubrovnik), and mine was the nature of Montenegro. I had been curious about Montenegro for a while, and had been wanting to get into the mountains again to do some hiking. Finally, we arrived on the scene...

When we reached the base of Mount Lovčen in beautiful Lovčen National Park, we had no idea it would be buried in snow. Unfortunately, Emily and I were both wearing canvas sneakers (and they were the only pair of shoes I had for the week), but I made it that far and had to go for the hike anyway. Emily stayed at the base and Kent and I started up the mountain. About a third of the way up, it started getting pretty extreme and the snow was getting deeper when we met the only other guy on the whole mountain, a local doctor from the nearby village of Njeguši. He told us that the snow was just getting heavier and deeper and it would be a struggle if we wanted to go all the way up (he didn't go to the peak, but he said he was about 200 meters from the top). Kent decided to turn back, but I am grateful that he encouraged me to keep trekking.

About an hour later, I found myself beyond any footsteps or tracks and up to my knees in snow, but I could see Njegoš's Mausoleum at the peak of the mountain... and soon-after made it to the summit. The view was breathtaking for 360 degrees... I was reminded of my home in Colorado and smiled. After the summit, I was racing with adrenaline and charged down the mountain in twenty-five minutes... When I made it back to the car and took off my high-tops and rang them out and didn't put them back on until the next day when we arrived in Albania.

We headed to Rijeka Crnojevica, a fortified medieval town in Lake Skadar. We chilled on the patio of this sweet little restaurant (Konoba Mostina) boasting "tranquil riverside dining" and had some choice seafood for the second time in as many days. After a beautiful sunset and relaxing stop in Crnojevica, we continued on to the capital, Podgorica... but didn't find too much exciting (or even interesting) happening there. So, we kept rolling...

It was an amazing day in Montenegro and a day I will always remember... starting with a walk around Kotor bay (with dry shoes), working our way into the peaks of the Black Mountains (completely soaking my shoes), down to the largest lake in the Balkan Peninsula (no shoes), to the capital Podgorica (still no shoes, attempting to dry them out by the hostel heater)...

No comments: