05 March 2011

March Madness.

March is here... and so is the annual schedule cramming that accompanies the passage from winter to spring. I love it though. Of course, the over-extension can cause a bit more pressure on the mind and body, but I feel my best when I'm busy... working, playing, working, playing... especially when the working is playing!


Work / Play: My course at Kaposvár University (Alternative Art Lab) is in full swing now, and we've been working on some really rad projects... sound collage, printmaking, painting... all things different and new. I'm putting in a lot of time at the university, but I'm having a lot of fun with my new students... we're building dynamic compositions, experiences, and relationships. At Munkácsy, we're getting geared up for some big plans as well... My Art Klub is going to take a run at extending the legacy of the fresh shoe design project (with a Hungarian twist)! And, I have also been working with István, the other art teacher at our school, to help jury and hang the county art show, "Miniatűrök Tárlata."

Travel / Play: This weekend, I'll take off on a road trip through the Balkans! I'm not sure exactly where I'll go, but it will all be new. I haven't found too many people that can help with the plan, because, really, I don't know too many people that have been down that way... so it's quite a mystery still. But, I think that's what makes me so excited! I'm most eager to get into the great outdoors again... I have visited many cities in this European resident year, but haven't spent a lot of time in nature, and I'm missing it. It's one of the biggest reasons I decided to rent a car for the rest of the year... getting to some harder-to-hit destinations and getting into the natural landscape a bit. I'm hoping to go through Croatia (especially the Dalmatian coast, leading down to Dubrovnik), Bosnia (especially Sarajevo, which I've heard great things about), Montenegro (the country I'm most excited about... looking forward to being back in the mountains), and Serbia... we'll see if I can make it all, and maybe even squeeze in Albania and Macedonia too!

Then, I'm back in Kaposvár for (less than) a week, before I head to Berlin for a week long Fulbright Seminar! Berlin is one of my favourite cities in the EU, so I'm totally stoked for that. Then, I'll go directly to Oslo for a few days, where I'll meet my friend Susan! From Norway, we'll head back to Hungary together... a workweek in Kaposvár and then back to Budapest to show her around the capital. That's about the time the next visitor rolls in... my buddy Campanella will meet up with us and stay for the last week... and I'm sure we'll devise some sort of excursion to round out the month. So, that's it... March. Wow.

1 comment:

Sarah L said...

And you call me a busy bee... ha!