10 March 2011

Culture Crash: Balkan Photo Collection Lost... (and FOUND).

Freshly back from an amazing tour of the Balkans... I was eager to view my photos... but just after I imported my photos (and deleted them from my memory card) my external hard drive crashed and I lost over six hundred photos in an instant. I ran a myriad of file recovery programs, but was unable to bring them back on my own. Down on hope, I turned to Gábor (the tech-support guru at Munkácsy) and István (a local friend, and computer magician)... and they came through in the clutch!

I wasn't able to get back all of the photos, but many have resurfaced (probably about two-thirds), and I am more than thankful for their efforts and faith in (what I thought was) the seemingly impossible. I will be posting some of the photos and some stories soon, but I am off to Berlin tomorrow morning, so they'll have to wait a bit...

Somehow, in my lifetime, I have lost photo collections several times... I lost many photos from my first trip to Europe (2007: Italy, Greece, Turkey), all of my photos from my second trip to Europe when I came to watch Led Zeppelin's final concert (2008: England), again, ALL of my photos from my third tour of Europe (2009: Germany, Czech Republic, Switzerland, France, Austria, Liechtenstein), and now some of my photos from my tour of the Balkans (2011: Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Serbia). Someday, I will learn the power of backup archives.

1 comment:

David Grosskopf said...

Franky, I've had one scare. It was enough. In the long view, photographs aren't health and aren't grief, but when you're an adventure scavenger-gatherer as you are, the pics mean a lot! Having looked at Emily's pictures on Facebook, it looks like a terrific and worthy trip. David Grosskopf