29 April 2011

Juxtaposed Harmony: Tallinn, ESTONIA.












When I first visited the Baltics in the fall, I immediately fell for the charm of Tallinn and knew it was only a matter of time before I would return. Fate found me cruising the unknown old town streets until I happened upon the Sally Studio, a dynamic school for contemporary arts... a special place with a cool mission. Furthermore, I learned that Tallinn would be the Cultural Capital of Europe for 2011, and that the Sally Studio would sponsor Eksperimenta!, a international contemporary art triennial.



As the project is aligned closely with my interests and experiences in art education, I wrote a proposal to present a workshop loosely based on the concept of synesthesia and experimenting with multi-sensoral artistry. Around the new year, I was informed that my abstract was accepted and I would be joining twelve other artists from ten countries to present at the IDEAlaboratory.















Fast forward a few months... and here I am, back in Tallinn, at the inaugural Eksperimenta! triennial, surrounded by a sea of artists and ideas. My presentation, Juxtaposed Harmony, is designed to expand the boundaries of composition to include multiple-sensoral stimuli and facets of creation. By experimenting with sound montage, mixed media installations, and , we uncover new avenues for contemporary solution.


















I'm grateful for this opportunity to exchange with so many diverse artists and to revisit such a culture-rich community. I met some incredible young students from Turkey to Korea to Latvia... all offering fresh perspective and showing great promise in the world of contemporary art development. Thank you to the Sally Studio and the Fulbright Commission, for sponsoring my workshop and offering me yet another source of inspiration.

No comments: