20 April 2011

Spring Holidays are Budding: Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS

I arrived in Amsterdam on the twentieth, and though the city is often under water for much of April, my spring holiday was off to a hot start... (twenty-three Celsius is 73° F). I was stoked to finally visit the Netherlands and to experience Earth Day and Easter in the BeNeLux!


Walking out of the train station into the heart of the city, I was promptly greeted by the sun-filled sky and smiling faces... it was destined to be a good few days in the Dutch capital! I met up with Anouk (my new friend and couchsurfing host), dropped my things off at her place, and without wasting any time, we hit the local Bar Baarsch and chilled on the patio for a few hours, so I could get adjusted to the new scene and the scenesters alike... On the way back to Anouk's flat, we stopped by the playground... turns out monkeys are suckers for jungle gyms. I couldn't resist.













In the morning, I headed for Museum Square... but before indulging in any (of the many) distinguished art posts, I decided to join the hundreds of people marinating in the sun of the museum gardens... I soaked it up for a bit, contemplating whether or not I wanted to wait out the queue for the Van Gogh Museum. I realized that I could still enjoy the sun and the people while I waited, so I queued up and waited my (little over an) hour with everybody else...

The wait seemed reasonable and the Van Gogh Museum didn't disappoint. It amazes me that dude was only an artist for ten years before taking his own life... so crazy, so prolific. His impact on modern art is equivalent to the influence that Hendrix or Cobain had in their short time in the 'business.' A certain souvenir to mankind, I respect his "conventional language that did not derive from nature," and his non-traditional route of academic art training.


















I spent the rest of day weaving through the city... without much of a clue, and without wanting one. I was happy to explore on my own, with no expectations and no destinations. I walked through the Nine Streets, along dozens of canals, and discovered the charm that I've heard so much about. I walked until the sun set and eventually met up with Kent and Annie for a late dinner at Purna, a great Indian restaurant in the Nine Streets. Afterwards, I went out barhopping (by bike) with Anouk and Odett in De Pijp ('the pipe'), a hip and colourful neighborhood near the Jordaan. Of course, I wouldn't be able to understand Amsterdam, without at least taking a ride through the Red Light District at night... so a hilarious cruise through the Red Light was a great way to close the night...

The next day was Earth Day in beautiful Amsterdam... and I was stoked to rent a bike and get a proper tour of the city with a local, my new Anouk. We went everywhere... from the can't-miss touristic spots to the hidden treasures to the sea for lunch to the amazing Vondelpark! Dig this place... it's not a parade or a festival or any kind of special happening... just a beautiful day in Amsterdam and people relish the opportunity to be outside... it reminds me so much of the parks in Denver (especially City Park)... the people, the bikes, the weather, the smell in the air...












The sites of Amsterdam are like no other city I've ever visited... not only the canals, 'coffee shops', and red light district that I've always heard about... but the lifestyle and the everyday norms lead to some pretty unforgettable scenes. I love the idea of a city where bicycle culture is such a principal part of everyone's day-to-day... kids (babies even) riding on front of mom and dad's bikes, chicks sitting on the rear luggage carriers (both legs swung off one side)... it's a hot style and an attractive culture!

Yes, the bridged roads lift to let boats pass by...







The Anne Frank House.










The world's narrowest house (one-meter wide).









The signature row houses along the canals.




Oh, and the last night, Anouk and Sophie and I went to Kill All Hipsters at Club 8... It was a rad little alternative joint, playing hot jams (from Crystal Castles to Thee Oh Sees to TV on the Radio to Grizzly Bear to The Beatles)... sweet indie / electro / postpunk party... not to mention glow-in-the-dark ping pong!

Oh, and dig these tulips we saw from the train to Belgium... we happened to pass through in just the right season.
























Two last photos... a wall of Dutch football players with incredible 'staches (that resemble American baseball players from the eighties)... and the namesake cheese shop of my brother Mark.

No comments: