23 January 2011

Lukač, CROATIA: Boarding Over Borders.

I managed two new feats today... one: my first time in Croatia, and two: my first time skateboarding across an international border. Apparently, not only is that a first for me, but it was the first time anyone at the border crossing had witnessed someone cross the bridge, and exit the European Union on a longboard.


In fact, the Hungarian Border Guard didn't want to let me leave the country on my skateboard. Although he didn't speak a word of English (and I understand very little Hungarian), I could tell he wasn't impressed by my efforts when he called the immigration office for verification of my visa. He talked for a while, and kept looking at my passport and then back at me with his visual interrogation. I didn't catch much of his conversation but I did hear him say gördesza (skateboard) as he continued his mean-mugging. Eventually, and seemingly reluctantly, he stamped my passport and I headed over the River Drava, arriving at the Croatia Border Patrol.

Conversely, the kind woman at the Croatian State Line found it entertaining that I was traveling by skateboard and she was happy to welcome me into her country. She spoke perfect English and we joked about it for a bit before she opened the big gate for me to skate through. It was refreshing to feel welcome by the authorities.

Once I got into Croatia, I just explored the village streets... no agenda and no checklist of sights to see, just scoping it out... but enjoying the ride nonetheless. Lukač isn't any different than the Hungarian countryside villages, but I was happy to enjoy the peaceful sunny day to myself... well, all was peaceful until I got a little too close to this guys' rooster farm and got chased all the way down the street (about 200 meters) by the family dog. It was a smaller dog, but still got my adrenaline going...

I had no idea what this sign read when I took the photo (of course)... I simply liked the colours and the print... but, when I got home and looked it up with Google Translate, I decided I like it even more now. It reads, "Sale: pig fat and cow reactive." Classic.

I plan to return to Croatia sometime in the coming months as summer approaches. It seems to be one of the hottest tourist destinations among Europeans and I am dying to get to
Plitvice Lakes National Park near the coast to see what all the chatter is about (said to be the most beautiful lake in the world). So, the Croatia adventures have just begun...

No comments: