05 December 2010

Let It Snow: Pest in Pictures.

I went to Budapest this past weekend and enjoyed my first Hungarian snowfall... I love that it's finally beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here! I had a few things on my Budapest agenda this weekend; per the usual, they included live music, art exhibitions, and local attractions.










Thursday: Caribou at the Gödör Klub.
I've been a longtime listener, but never had a chance to check out Caribou in North America... but as the world has it, now that I'm living in Europe, I'm getting the opportunity to see Daniel Snaith and company, who hail from Ontario, Canada. I was psyched, not only to see Caribou, but to finally catch up with my friend Valeria, who I always seem to miss when I go to BP... we met up and bounced around a few places to pre-game before landing at the Gödör Klub in time to catch the last opening act, DJ Bootsie Quartet (from Budapest). They were pretty groovy... an eclectic mix with horns, drum and bass, and a helluva turntablist.












The bill headliner was well worth the wait... Caribou took the stage and played a high-energy packed set for the Budapest hipsters (a scene I have really yet to notice). Caribou coloured the evening with work from all of their LPs, in addition to their dynamic video projections. For much of the set, Daniel led the group from behind a percussion setup... adding brilliant layers of rhythmic goodness to the ill Brad Weber beats that set the foundation.

Somehow, I talked my way into the photo pit (with my mashed up and broken Hungarian)... I acted like I was supposed to be there and snagged some shots. And, after the show, I had a chance to say hi to Dan the man.












Friday: The Parliament and Ethnogrophy Museum and Christmas Market and Kiado Kocsma.
*Plenty to write about but crunched for time in the holiday hustle... so I'll post the photos for now and revisit the WORDS when I get a chance...












Saturday: Applied Art Museum and Christmas Design Fair.
One of the most stunning Art Nouveau buildings in the world, the Applied Art Museum in Budapest, houses some pretty impressive work inside as well. I got a chance to check out a contemporary exhibit called Realized Works: a collection emphasizing the use of light in various aspect of the creative process...

No comments: